- US, China set to sign trade deal
- US removes currency manipulator label for China
- Dutch-Australia consortium Gentium-Damen to construct world class shipyard in Bangladesh
- Iraq warns of ‘collapse’ if Trump blocks oil cash
- Bangladeshi, Indian state-run radios launch broadcast exchange programmes
- DU students demand that the Dhaka city corporation election date be changed, polling same day as Saraswati Pooja
- Protect 30% of planet by 2030 to save ecosystem: UN plan
- Get policy right to develop non-apparel sectors
- Sabila Nur gears up for a busy year
Police have surrounded the party’s central office in Nayapalton, despite protests demanding the release of BNP prison chairman Khaleda Zia. The BNP sat in a brief rally in front of the party office after failing to carry out the aforementioned program.
Protests began at BNP’s central office in Nayapalton on Saturday (February 15) at 1 pm.
Due to the position of BNP leaders, the traffic on both sides of the road was almost stopped.
Earlier on Saturday, the BNP announced a protest march from the front of the Nayapaltan office as part of a nationwide protest program demanding the release of Khaleda Zia.
But shortly after 9 am, a large number of policemen made their rounds on the pavement in front of the main gate of the office.
Standing inside the main gate of the office, Khaleda Zia’s slogan was echoed – BNP joint secretary general Habib Un Nabi Khan Sohel, volunteer party president Shafiul Bari Babu and 40 to 50 employees.
BNP general secretary Mirza Fakhrul Islam entered the office of Alamgir at around 11 am on this day. Besides, office-bearers including senior secretary-general of the party, Ruhul Kabir Rizvi, are inside the office.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Motijheel Zone Zahidur Rahman Sohag told reporters that no permission from the BNP program had been obtained from the Metropolitan Police Authority today. So in the public interest, we have taken a position here. There is no opportunity to do anything without the permission of the authorities.
Rizvi said the police did not allow us to march. We will hold a brief rally in front of the party office in protest.
BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, Standing Committee member Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain, Amir Khasru Mahmud Chowdhury, Gayeshwar Chandra Roy, Iqbal Hasan Mahmood Tukus are expected to attend the protest rally.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was saddened by the memory of Sheikh Rasel, the youngest son of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the nation's father.
Chief Editor: Saifullah Sadir
163/4 Dewan Para, Vashantek, Dhaka-1206
Acting Editor: Selim Takku
Al-Amin Super Market, 2nd Floor, East Mujum Pur, Kushtia,